Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Five Disagreements With Rotten Tomatoes

When it comes to movies it seem's everyone's a critic, am i right? Well let's have a look at five movies that I 100% disagree with the critics via Rotten Tomatoes.

1) Gravity-RT 97% 
Okay, let me start by saying a few positives, the visual effects were stunning, directing was well done (Cuaron won Academy Award for Best Director) I guess you can say the acting was good being about 4 characters. George Clooney, and Sandra Bullock are the two leads and for the short time Clooney is in it he's his usual sarcastic perfect acting self and Bullock is a class act actress. The part I have a problem with is the plot, I thought it was basically Cast Away in space, but not as good. In my opinion it was an average film and I'm happy to say it was $3 movie night at school and it didn't cost me full price. 

Magnum Review 6.8/10

2) American Gangster-RT 80%
American Gangster is about the story of Frank Lucas(Denzel Washington), who comes into power after his boss a prominent Harlem gangster dies. Lucas smuggles heroin into America using military planes during the Vietnam War. It's until an overdose of "Blue Magic" (the name of the heroin Lucas pushes) catches the attention of New Jersey Detective Richie Roberts(Russell Crowe) who does all he can to see that justice is served. Other cast members include, Cuba Gooding Jr, Idris Elba, Josh Brolin, Carla Gugino, and TI. In my opinion this movie has a star studded cast that fit perfectly together, and a plot that is riveting, and drama filled. Ridley Scott directs/ A film where Denzel and Crowe play off each other as enemies in a most perfect way, which leaves the audience not sure who to root for.  

Magnum Review 9.0/10

3) Pain & Gain-RT 50% 
Are they kidding me? Like yeah I get this movie is no Best Picture nominee but a 50 c'mon! I know Michael Bay is known for what the critics consider below average films Armageddon being one which I personally think is better than what critics make it out to be. Anyways back to Pain & Gain, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and Ed Harris star in a sarcastic, funny, true story about a few juice heads looking to scam people and make it rich...they almost succeed just almost. Also in my opinion The Rocks best performance. I think this film deserves more credit then it gets. See it.

Magnum Review 8.0/10

4) Flight-RT 78%
Yeah I know what you're thinking another movie with Denzel Washington in it but I can justify it don't worry. Flight is a very powerful film, that shows people the true power of addiction and how it can control a person life and how it really takes everything you have to overcome it. After a plane crash that led to a few casualties, Captain Whitaker (Washington) an alcoholic is being put on trial by the National Transportation Safety Board(NTSB) for alcohol, drug, and manslaughter charges. Alongside Denzel in this film is Don Cheadle, John Goodman, and Kelly Reilly.  

Magnum Review 8.8/10

5) A Bronx Tale-RT 96%
I know I'm probably going to get some heat for this one, but give me a chance. De Niros directorial debut is by no means a flop, the film is well directed, well casted and the plot is strong. The main problem I have with is not really the film as a whole but that Rotten Tomatoes gives it the same rating as Goodfellas, In my opinion A Bronx Tale cant hold a candle to Goodfellas, but like I said I know I'm probably going to get some heat for this critique. Ill leave it at this A Bronx Tale, good...not great.

Magnum Review 7.8/10

Trailers To Each Film:
Gravity  American Gangster  Pain & Gain  Flight  A Bronx Tale



No comments:

Post a Comment