Thursday, July 17, 2014

Varsity Blues




I've been a big fan of Varsity Blues for quite some time. I'm not saying it's an incredible film, I' just saying I'm a fan. It's corny, over dramatic, a bit sloppy and awkward, yet it's still awesome. Varsity Blues has been on showtime/starz/hbo about 6 times a day for the last week and I've watched it every time I've seen it on, thus giving me the inspiration to write this blog.

(From left to right: Tweeder, Billy Bob, Kilmer, Lance, Mox, and 
insignificant-to-this-blog black guy)

Varsity Blues is a movie about a town down south obsessed with their high school football team, so obsessed that the players are above the law and the coach will do anything to win. When watching this movie you see the main character, Mox (short for Moxon), trying to be a normal kid and have a good time during his remaining years in high school, while he and his friends are over pressured by their coach, Kilmer, to win at all cost. When the starting QB, Lance, blows out his knee Mox gets the "chance of a lifetime" to step in and show he's no joke. But he doesn't give a fuck. He's like a less extreme Alex Moran, he's got the raw talent but doesn't care enough to do anything with it. Though generally a serious movie, the comedic relief of Tweeder and Billy Bob will having you laughing at the screen. Now I'm not fucking stupid, when watching a movie, especially alone, no one fucking laughs at the screen, but humor me here (pun intended). Tweeder is a person who, at one point in a man's life will strive to be. Watch the movie and see what I mean.

Varsity Blues is no "Miracle", but it's also no "Mighty Ducks". It probably sits right in the middle of the two. Overall, I can't give it a great grade due to pretty poor acting and ridiculous dialogue. But it's definitely a movie most people will love. Hopefully that makes some sense.

Magnum Reviews: 7/10

*Note* There are tits in this film (NSFW)


No comments:

Post a Comment