Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Requiem For A Dream: A One And Done





I know Jared Leto is Tommyboy's thing, but "Requiem For A dream" is the most recent movie I've watched and Tommyboy hasn't pulled the trigger on this blog yet so I'm cut in front of him. That's right, fuck you Tom. The truth is I spent a 100 or so painful minutes feeling terrible for our four main characters, who against all my might I felt incredibly sympathetic for despite the fact that everything bad that happened to them throughout the movie was brought upon them by themselves. Requiem for a Dream is a phenomenal film about drug addiction that is so bad that all hell breaks loose. Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, Ellen Burstyn, and to my surprise, Marlon Wayans all make you love the characters one would normally hate: junkies so desperate for their next fix they'll suck dick and cut off their own limbs just to get high one more time. Now obviously that's a slight exaggeration but you get my point. Watch the movie and you'll know exactly what they'll do for heroin.

Going into this movie my biggest concern was Marlon Wayans. I didn't doubt his acting ability, I doubted my ability to take the man serious. I mean come on, the man played shorty in the scary movies for God's sake. But fuck me I was wrong. In a movie like this, I had no problem taking him seriously, no problem at all.

The cinematography was also brilliant. A little strange and fast paced, it almost had a "Snatch" feel to it. For example every time our characters would lift off there would almost be a sped up drug/partying montage that would glue your eyes to the screen as our characters' mainlined heroin and eyes dilated to and from the size of bowling balls.

Best of all, I was satisfied with the ending. It was a great ending. A shitty ending can completely ruin a good movie, no two ways about that. We all remember the "Law Abiding Citizen" incident of 2009. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, I promise I'll write about it eventually. And if I don't, maybe my good friend Will will actually get his head out of his ass, sign onto the site, and do it for me because I know Will knows how "Law Abiding Citizen" should have ended.

In the end, this movie is a one and done for me. Don't get me wrong, this movie was awesome, but I just can't let my delicate eyes watch something as disturbing as the 'ass to ass' scene ever again. I'd recommend this movie to anyone once, and only once.

Magnum Reviews: 9.4/10

Note: The term "Lift off", which means to get high on heroin, I'm going to start using on a daily basis. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment